February 28, 2011

Ladylike Elegance: Sitting Down


Bonjour! :) Yet again, I am starting another series, this time on etiquette. (Yes, I am still continuing my other ones... ;) The topic for today will be about sitting down in a ladylike, graceful manner. You may wonder, 'Er, why is this important? I understand you're into ladylikeness, style, grace, elegance, fashion, poise, class, and glamour... but is it truly necessary to devote a whole post to the art of sitting?!' Constantly, I see women {and men} sitting in a completely vulgar way, and frankly, it looks awful and it is truly disgusting to watch. Etiquette isn't about personal comfort; it is about respect for yourself and those around you. You will feel like a lady when you sit in a classy way, and people will treat you like one. Don't wave aside this topic, no matter how idiotic and tedious this may seem, as it will truly benefit you in the long run! =)
~NEVER......
Slouch. Sit up straight, even when you have
to  sit for  two hours.... determination is a virtue!
~When crossing your legs....
Angle the supporting leg to the side
and keep your ankles as close as
possible! {see above example}
Right above, we have an incredible example of Vivien Leigh looking classy while crossing her legs in a skirt. However, unless you have posture and poise to match her, please refrain from crossing your legs in a skirt.... it ruins the feminine loveliness of your dignity. =) This is my opinion, and if you feel elegant while crossing you legs in a skirt, I will not say a word. ;)
~When sitting down......
You can fold your hands, palms facing up, like this
lovely example :)
~When wearing a skirt.....
Tuck one foot under the other :) It
looks ladylike, feminine and lovely!
~When wearing pants....
You have license to cross your legs. Even though I don't
like it ;) So if you must, *feel* free.... =)
~When wearing a skirt....
Don't cross your legs. =) Why? Crossing your
legs is a "male" position, and frankly, it looks
strange when you have a skirt on. And yes, I
am anti-feminist. Were you wondering? ;)
~Never.....
Sit with your feet apart. =)
~When wearing pants, preferably....
Tuck one foot under the other, as the
beautiful Grace Kelly demonstrates :)
~In public, pants or not, NEVER....
Sit like this.... or lounge about, sticking
your feet up in the air.... enough said.
~You may.....
Fold your hands and place them in your lap, and it will look gorgeous :)
~If you hate all this complexity, just think, "Knees together, and ankles together. :) No stress!" There is absolutely no hassle in that!
How is tucking one foot under the other going? If you find it difficult, you are NOT alone! Here is a funny video from Princess Diaries about her experiences with this pose.... ;)

It was so fun writing this post. ;) I must improve in my elegance and poise.... =)
God bless!
~Southern Belle

9 comments:

Gabrielle said...

What a well-put post! LOVE the pictures!!

Southern Belle said...

Aw thank you, Gabrielle!! :)

All Things Lovely said...

A couple friends and I are starting up a new website/blog for set-apart sisters to connect and share. We'd love you to be a part of it! We are also looking for guest bloggers. Blessings, Hannah Rose

dwellonlovely.com

Julia said...

I loved this post! So fun to read, and it really makes you think, too. :D

Southern Belle said...

Hannah Rose/All things lovely, I am so honored!! Thank you so much for the invitation, and I would LOVE to join/blog sometimes :) Thank you so much for commenting; it is a true encouragement =)

Thank you, Julia! I collect vintage photos and read MANY etiquette books, so I was well prepared for this post =) It was very fun to write!

Virginia said...

What a lovely post! I have been trying to do all these things but it's not always easy to remember, especially the "crossing the legs" part. It's so addictive! But it actually encourages vericose veins so I am trying to curb my habit. :) You have a lovely blog!

Southern Belle said...

I was so amazed when I heard that! But it is really true, and it is really important to not cross your legs! :) Thank you so much for commenting =)

Danielle said...

This post made me smile. It reminds me of once in high school when a friend told me, "A lady never crosses her legs in a skirt." I'd never heard that before!
It's much harder to fold your hands gracefully with your palms up when they are full of a squirmy baby, but I'll do my best. :)

Southern Belle said...

haha :) I can imagine it is difficult with a baby! But babies are so amazing I am sure no one will mind if you don't fold you hands ;) I'm glad this made you smile =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...